Thursday, September 5, 2013

Blog 5 Project Reflection and Working EQ



The Pentagon: 

(1) Positive Statement: What positive thing happen as a result of what you have completed so far?

---As a result of all the things I have completed so far my knowledge of the field of Linguistics has grown. Also what I have done has helped solidify linguistics as what I want to major in in college. 

(2) EQ Content:  Pick a piece of research or your interview.  How has it helped you improve your understanding of your topic?


---My interview with my mentor helped improve my understanding of Linguistics immensely. My mentors field of work is in applied Linguistics, meaning she uses what she learns about Linguistics and applies it to teaching English to ESL (English as a Second Language) students. She told me that Linguistics is divided into many sub sections such as morphology, semantics, special language study, neuro-liguistics, psycho-linguistics, Computational Linguistics and many more. The people who study linguistics either go into applied Linguistics or do research. I think that I would like to study computational linguistics because technology is the future and I do not wish to go into academia

(3) What has worked for you so far in the senior project?

---Doing things a head of time has definitely worked for me during this project. I hope I will be able to keep this habit up when young scholars classes start.

(4) What hasn't worked so far?  


---I feel like everything has worked pretty well so far; The only thing I have had problems with is the font size and the format of my blog.

(5) Finding Value: 

What is a potential question you would like to study this year?  (working EQ)


---What is the future of languages?

  •  What do you plan to do for mentorship?  If you haven't found a mentor yet, then discuss where you are currently looking and who you are talking to to find it. 
--- For my mentorship I plan on sitting in on my mentors ESL classes and observing how language is learned.I also have contacted people at UCLA and USC to see if they will let me help with research or help collect data.

No comments:

Post a Comment