Friday, August 16, 2013

Summer Mentor-ship Component

Literal:  

1. Summer Mentorship Hour Log

2. Dr. Karren A. Russikoff - (909) 833-5374 

3. What questions were raised because of the 10 hours of experience?  List them. 

Why is it that some students can get the pronunciation of words completely correct when others struggle? 
What is the best way to find out the level of ones proficiency in a language?  
What is the best way to teach idioms?
When does an idiom become out of date?
Should language classes be taught in two languages or strictly in the language being learned?
Is it possible to gain proficiency in a language without ever hearing a native speaker speak it?


4. What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?
  
I believe the most important thing I gained from my experience is that I was able to see how language is taught. Usually I am in the classroom learning a language not teaching it. When the tables were turned I was able to apply my experiences as a student to the way I taught. I was also able to observe how students apply their own language to the language they are learning. For instance the Chinese students would use Chinese syntax to form an English sentence. This all helped to better understand how languages are acquired which is as big part of linguistics.
   
5. How did what you did help you choose a topic?  

My experience as an english teacher helped me choose my topic because I thoroughly enjoyed observing students learn a language. Also the teachers I taught with, who all had their master in english, said that all their favorite classes they had to take for their major were Linguistics classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment