Friday, March 21, 2014

March Post


          I am continuing my mentor ship with Frau Tsia at Mt. Sac helping out and observing the German II class. Frau Tsia is also the German teacher at Claremont High School. She asked me if I would be able to help her create the program for her up and coming Gartenfest German poetry recitation. I accepted the assignment because it would be a good way to look at work of high school students. Up until this point I have really only seen L2 acquisition class work of college students. For the program I helped proof read and format the program. The program contained all the poems that were to be recited in both German and English. My main job besides formatting was to make sure that the German matched the  English. I was able to relate my work doing the proof reading to my possible third answer to my essential question which is language family proximity to ones native tongue. There were a lot of positive and negative lexical transfers within the translations. A lot of the negative transfers had to do with false cognates between German and English. A false cognate is a word that sounds like another word, but has a different meaning. The most frequent false cognate in the translations was the German word "will" (Which means to want to so something) to the English word "will" (Which means that one is going to do something). The Gartenfest occurred on March 13th and my mentor was kind enough to put my name on the program (Pictured Above).

No comments:

Post a Comment